"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..." - Dr. Seuss, Oh! The Places You'll Go!



stress management

enteng tagged me. wanted this to be from a psychologist's point of view but decided otherwise. i'm still half-baked in this field anyway. that aside, here's my answers:

what are the things you enjoy, even when no one around you wants to go out and play?

reading. i like devouring information, especially the written kind. reading books allows me to explore worlds other than my own. it doesn't really matter if it's fiction (hesse, coelho and williams), scientific writing (gladwell and gell-man), biographies (hendra and wiesel), fables (duffie), life's instructions (rilke, moore and peck) or picture/photo essays/stories (stine and bantock).

driving. when gas was way cheaper, i used to drive aimlessly on weekends to different places in the metro. not to go anywhere but to go. sometimes, i even turn off the radio when i drive. and i don't mind heavy vehicular traffic. it's one of my few moments when i'm allowed to be alone, find my bearing and find my peace.

graphics design-ing. i have been tinkering with photoshop for 5 years now. and i still can't get enough of it. i even have a folder dedicated to my 'workshop': delving into experimental stuff from multi-filter treatments to mixing different types of digita media. i don't think i'll ever tire of this.

sailing. ever since i've learned earlier this year (to rig the boat, to tack and to jibe), i've craved to go out on the lake and sail. after being a bit reluctant in the beginning, i now know that this is one of the activities that gives me joy and peace. being able to control the elements is an exhilirating experience. indeed, my love for the water just grows more and more.

listening. i love listening to music but then again it's not the only thing that i listen to: birds chirping, the sound of the howling wind, thunder, pouring rain, lapping of waves, even silence. wonder of wonders, this world is indeed blessed with amazing sounds.

building watching. architectural details intrigue me. like looking at the vertical signature of gt tower and how recio+casas made the skyline of makati unique. like understanding the context of greenbelt and how callison architects made it integral to the life of makati. like imbibing design philosophies of maƱosa and how he tropicalized and filipinized buildings (san miguel headquarters). like seeing the way calma humanizes space and how important scale is for him (one mckinley).

cooking. don't tell anybody this but i have a big crush on nigella lawson (my jaw just drops watching her cook)! she inspires me to cook. as of now, most of my dishes more or less are based on principles of medditeranean cooking. i love using garlic, tomato, olive oil, basil.

what lowers your stress/blood pressure/anxiety level?

all of the above plus:

tennis.
nothing like a good forehand down the line to make my day complete!

travel. sunsets. moonlit nights. scuba diving. salty seas. blue skies. new smells. sumptuous food. being with old and new friends.

conversations. let me quantify that: good conversations. whether it be in a car, or someone's home, or in a restaurant, i like being in conversations. allows me to know people more and good ones can really expand my horizon.

exercising. know what they say about regular exercise: it can lower psychological stress and quicken recovery. and from personal experience, it can give one better sleep!

saying no. i've recently learned this. i've been a yes man for many years and it has caused me a lot (of stress). now saying no to things that i don't want to do allows me not to spread myself too much. as such, have more time for people and activities that matter.

praying. meeting with God has allowed me to go beyond my perceived insecurities. it has given me peace and hope. that whatever happens, tomorrow is always a new day. as such, it has allowed me to rid of unnecessary expectations. as thomas moore has written, "prayer cleanses us of expectations and allows holy will, providence, and life itself an entry."

posted by lex @ 8:57 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home