"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..." - Dr. Seuss, Oh! The Places You'll Go!



blogging in small caps

people who write in small caps are often asked if they're fans of e.e. cummings.

well, i'm not. he's not even in my list of favorite poets. i just find it easier to type in this fashion. for one, it doesn't impede my thought process; i get to enjoy writing all the more without any minor stumbling blocks. secondly, it grants a more informal/casual look (from an aesthetic point of view).

in the past, when asked to make designs (logo, branding, brochures, etc.), i've used small letters in defining the brand unless the client specifies that i use capital letters. but with single color designs, i tend not to capitalize. instead, i play on this limitation and use other mechanisms of calligraphic design (bold, italics, font size, etc.) to communicate my point.

among consumer brands, celio, bench and greenwich all define their brands without capitalizations. it's not that caps are relegated secondary to design, it's just that most brands define themselves using all caps and using small letters provide a subtle suggestion to consumers that this brand, album or package is out of the ordinary. but then again, if everybody used it, then it would be ordinary and i'll start typing my blog with capitalizations.

posted by lex @ 5:37 PM,

2 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Blogger Honey Oliveros said...

Hmmm...on the other hand, I can be a little obsessive-compulsive with proper capitalization. I just noticed that I make sure I get my caps right even while texting (and I'm a great fan of the predictive text on phones as well, not to mention texting without abbreviating!). Then again, I think that's the editor in me talking. I have no problems with your blogging in lower case, because it's your style...and because I already know you have the impeccable grammar and solid technique to get away with what would ordinarily be an editor's nightmare! ;-)

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger lex said...

honey: wow, thanks! coming from an editor, that means a lot.

enteng: glad you noticed. that's really an intention of mine. it makes Him stand out all the lot more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home